Best Creative Experience 1st Runner up
Baan Laem Homestay – Mangrove Forest Conservational Community Enterprise (Baan Na Tab)
Nakorn Sri Thammarat
This community’s slogan “We have nothing to offer but our hearts and happiness” represents the traditional, simple fishermen’s way of life that has found a way to incorporate community tourism, all starting from the local wisdom. Part of the charm of this village is its incredible innovations; for instance, you’ll see how the fishing net has been turned into bags, clothes and many other products; mud, where crab traps are laid, is turned into cosmetic products for export; herbs and plants are turned into southern-style spice paste. Even the locally caught seafood is creatively processed and turned into best-selling products.
- Cook a range of traditional dishes by using local ingredients. Ground and mix various spices with the Muslimah Southern-Style Spice Community Enterprise.
- Taste some local dishes, including squid ink-infused rice, mangrove leaf and shrimp fritters, mangrove leaves and pandanus pudding.
- Enjoy fresh seafood caught by the local fishermen.
- Mud spa and mangrove forest restoration.
- Tie-dye clothes with natural dye from mangrove leaves.
- Experience the fishermen’s way of life, taste some coffee and enjoy the sun shining over the sea.
Price 1,850 Baht/Person
(minimum 4 persons, excluding transportation)
|Afternoon||Enjoy a traditional welcome drink of coconut juice or mangrove leaf juice.|
|Tie-dye clothes with natural dye from mangrove leaves.|
|Enjoy some traditional snacks, such as mangrove leaf and pandanus pudding and donuts.|
|Explore the community in a side-car, visit an ancient temple and the “Mosque of Love”.|
|Morning||Meet at the pier (Aow Thongkam Tha Sala). Have a coffee and enjoy the sunrise over the sea.|
|Experience the local fishermen’s way of life. Mud spa and mangrove forest restoration.|
|Visit the local seafood market.|
|Afternoon||Receive your own tie-dye shirt so you can wear it on the way back.|
|Return to Bangkok.|
Food at the community
- Squid ink fried rice
- Spicy catfish curry
- Boiled potato with shrimp paste
- Tamarind soup with eggplant and mullet
- Mangrove leaf fritters with seafood dip
Products/souvenirs at the community
Cold-pressed coconut oil, Mangrove leaf-dyed clothes, Sea mud products
Mr. Taksin Minman
Tel. : 06-5513-7273
Getting to the Community
Address : 128 Moo 7, Tambon Tha Sala, Amphoe Tha Sala, Nakhon Si Thammarat 80160
Facebook : วิสาหกิจชุมชนอนุรักษ์ป่าชายเลนบ้านแหลมโฮมสเตย์
The community is 10 kilometers from Nakorn Sri Thammarat Airport, 15 minutes travel time.