The Winner of Best Homestay
Baan Ta Kan Tong Homestay
Experience a charming way of life by the Mae Khong River where Isaan (Northeastern Thai) and Lanna (Northern Thai) influences combined. This vibrant hybrid culture is presented through a community homestay, where you’ll be impressed by the friendly hospitality and natural wonders along the riverbank. The community offers various activities inspired by the Isaan culture in which traditional games and culture are promoted.
- Charming homestay accommodation in Chiang Rai.
- A sightseeing trip around the villages next to the Mae Khong River on a motorized tractor.
- Bike ride around fruit orchards, as well as mulberry, sacha peanut, and passion fruit plantations.
- Boat trip along the Mae Khong River – explore a freshwater fishery on both the Thai and Lao sides.
- Foot spa on the pebble beach.
- Collect Cladophora, a type of seaweed grown in the river that’s used for cooking traditional dishes.
- Sacha peanut tea and mulberry jam workshop.
- ‘Baci’ welcome ceremony.
Price 2,500 Baht/Person
|Afternoon||Introduction to the community; Where it’s become known as “Ta Kan Tong Isaan-Lanna village”.|
|Board a motorized tractor before learning to weave ‘Ta Mong’ patterned fabric.|
|Visit a combined agricultural plantation and collect passion fruit for cooking.|
|Brown rice milling ‘Kaeng Khae Brown Rice’ Cooking.|
|Visit a sacha peanut plantation and taste sacha peanut herbal wraps.|
|Sail along the Mae Khong river, following the story of Suwankomkam ancient city.|
|Enjoy the sunset with some of Ta Pun’s grilled pork washed down with ‘ya dong’ (locally-brewed liquor).|
|‘Khan Tok’ offering ceremony for the spirits and ‘baci’ welcome ceremony.|
|Evening||Enjoy a traditional ‘Khan Tok’ dinner.|
|Be impressed by the traditional cultural performance that accompanies dinner.|
|Morning||Giving alms to monks in front of the accommodation before breakfast.|
|Mud slide and herbal steam activities.|
|Noon||Learn how to cook local dishes.|
|Afternoon||Return to Bangkok.|
Food at the community
- Sacha peanut wraps
- Ta Pun’s pork skewers
- ‘Jaew Lim’ chili dip
Products/souvenirs at the community
‘Kan Tong’ shirts, Sacha peanut
Mr. Sathian Boonpok
Tel. : 06-2793-5932
Mr. Setthasak Phromma
Tel. : 06-2793-5932
Getting to the Community
Address : 223 Moo 3, Tambon Ban Saeo, Ampheo Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai 57150
Facebook : โฮมสเตย์บ้านท่าขันทอง การท่องเที่ยวโดยชุมชน ต.บ้านแซว
The community is 58 kilometers from Mae Fah Luang Airport 54 minutes travel time.