Best Homestay 1st Runner up
Mae Kam Pong Ecotourism Village
Mae Kam Pong is one of the several sustainable ecotourism villages situated among the valleys of Chiang Mai. The weather here in Northern Thailand is pleasantly cool all year round thanks to its altitude at 1,300 meters above sea level. Living in a 100-year-old village, the locals here use the natural resources responsibly and the forest is well-conserved. They plant lahpet, work in orchards, grow coffee, and have developed an ecotourism scheme that incorporates a homestay experience where visitors can immerse themselves in the local way of life while soaking up the natural surroundings. They live a simple life in wooden houses, and other accommodation is arranged for visitors to get a feel of the traditional way of life while still enjoying some of the comforts of home.
- Homestay accommodation at the community.
- Explore the Mae Kam Pong waterfall trail and admire the diversity of different birds.
- Tea leaf herbal cushion making (activity).
- Visit the local market (walking street).
- Follow the nature trails, passing by tea and coffee plantations and waterfalls.
- Learn how to collect lahpet leaves and learn about wicker products.
- Visit local attractions such as Wat Kantha Prueksa Mae Kam Pong temple, the “church on the water”, and the lahpet museum.
- Experience a ‘Baci’ welcome ceremony and ‘Salor Sor Sueng’ a traditional Lanna performance.
Price 2,400 Baht/Person
|Morning||Visit Wat Kantha Prueksa Mae Kam Pong temple. Follow in the footsteps of King Rama 9 as you see the Buddha image in the “church on the water”.|
|Visit the lahpet museum and have a go at making tea leaf herbal cushions.|
|Visit the local market (walking street).|
|Afternoon||Stroll along the nature trails, passing by tea and coffee plantations, waterfalls, springs and the biggest tree in the sub-district.|
|Learn how to collect lahpet leaves and learn about wicker products.|
|Evening||Evening ‘Baci’ welcome ceremony.|
|See the traditional ‘Salor Sor Sueng’ Lanna performance and some of the children’s dance shows.|
|Tuck into a traditional ‘Khon Tok’ dinner.|
|Morning||Merit-making and almsgiving.|
|Head up to ‘Kiw Fin’ viewpoint.|
|Learn about the history of coffee and coffee processing in the region.|
|Afternoon||Wellness activities, such as Thai massage, herbal steam and herbal steam with a bamboo daybed.|
|Return to Bangkok.|
Food at the community
- Burmese tea leaf salad
- “Khai Pam” Gilled egg in banana leaf basket
- “Nam Prik Ong” Spicy northern thai pork and tomato
Products/souvenirs at the community
Tea leaf pillows, Mae Kam Pong coffee
Mr. Thiramet Khachonphatthanaphirom
Tel. : 09-6919-6725
Getting to the Community
Address : 78/1 Moo 3, Ban Tambon Huai Kaeo, Amphoe Mae On, Chiang Mai 50130
Facebook : CBT Mae Kampong
The community is 55 kilometers from Chiang Mai Airport, 1 hour and 45 minutes travel time.