Best Responsible Tourism 1st Runner up
The Sappaya Old Police Station Market Community
Travel back in time, taste local delicacies, and soak up the charming vibes in this pretty little community. The village is characterized by vintage wooden buildings around the Sappaya Police Station Market Community next to Chaophraya River and now has a focus on being environmentally-friendly. Their “Green Dee” night market offers various products, food, traditional snacks and organic agricultural products and is 100% free of foam containers (they have been replaced with natural materials like bamboo tubes, coconut shell and pandan leaf). Vendors and visitors are invited to wear traditional Thai clothes and take photos by the 118-year-old police station, the oldest in Thailand.
- Visit the “Green Dee” foam container-free market at Sappaya Police Station.
- See the 118-year-old police station building that dates back to the King Rama V era, the oldest in Thailand.
- Admire the street art and the traditional way of life reflecting the past.
- Learn how to make ‘Kui lee’ baked sesame dumplings, Sappaya’s most popular souvenir.
- Learn about water hyacinth wicker products from Ban Aoi Water Hyacinth Craft Group.
- Enjoy making traditional floating coconut dessert, a seasonal local delicacy.
Price 2,500 Baht/Person
(excluding accommodation and transportation)
|Late morning||Pay homage to Luang Pu Fueang and admire the prostrating Buddha image at Wat Sappaya Wattanaram temple.|
|Stroll around Sappaya market community.|
|See the police station that dates back to the King Rama V era over 100 years ago.|
|Admire the street art and traditional way of life of the past.|
|Learn how to make ‘Kui lee’ baked sesame dumplings, Sappaya’s top souvenir, with the original recipe.|
|Afternoon||Learn how water hyacinth is transformed into wicker products and other products at Ban Aoi Water Hyacinth Craft Group.|
|Learn how to make traditional floating coconut dessert, a soft rice crepe with black sesame.|
|Learn how to cook traditional (seasonal) dishes under the guidance of the community chef.|
|Learn about the concept of Green Dee market, where single-use foam and plastic containers have been phased out.|
|Visit “Baan Noen Kham Lao Viang Weaving Community”.|
|Afternoon||Have a traditional lunch at Baan Noen Kham.|
|Return to Bangkok.|
Food at the community
- Pickled fish soup with toddy palm
- Elephant ear soup
- Curry-fried pangasius
- Spicy salad with picked fish
Products/souvenirs at the community
Floating rice crackers, Sappaya-style notebooks, Sappaya-style hats
Mrs. Ngek Lang Janthonwannakoon
Tel. : 08-2881-2679
Tel. : 0-5649-9134
Getting to the Community
Address : 70 Moo 4, Tambon Sapphaya, Amphoe Sapphya, Chai Nat 17150
Facebook : เทศบาลตำบลสรรพยา
The community is 180 kilometers from Bangkok, 2 hours and 30 minutes travel time.